Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Don Surber is more sanguine on McCain than me

He posits:

Congratulations, John McCain.

The baggage we know well. From the Keating Five scandal to campaign finance deform to immigration amnesty, McCain has a lot of baggage. But he also carries his own luggage, does he not?

There is a lot to be said for humility and he’s been knocked down a few times. I see he has regained his legs each time.

Many conservatives no doubt will freak.

My wise counsel in this is the philosopher who pens under the pseudonym Basil.

Bush was not his first choice in 2000. Dole was not his choice in 1996. Reagan was not his first choice in 1980.

I can do him one better: I voted for Carter. Maybe I should wear a T-shirt: “What do I know? I voted for Carter.”

Basil advises people keep their options open: “So, now that Fred’s out, it looks like I’m going to end up voting for someone who wasn’t my first choice.”

That’s how the game is played. You try your best, you lose, you shake the winner’s hand, and you play again.

You do not take your ball and go home.

Look at Al Gore. Rather than gracefully accept a close defeat in 2000 and come back later, he got all angry and sued. Look at him now. He has all these awards but he knows he’s a fraud. He knows global warming is a myth. If he really believed that crap, he would not burn up 20 times the electricity of mortal men.

But hey, what do I know? I voted for Carter.

History may provide some guidance. In 1932, FDR was all the rage. But 28 years later, JFK did not run as an FDR Democrat. He said it was time for a new generation.

It has been 28 years since Reagan was nominated.

What he stood for as president included being pro-life, pro-gun, limit the government, cut taxes, cut spending, help the truly needed, and stand up to communism. At various times in his life, Ronald Reagan stood at the opposite ends of some of those positions.

But he learned. And by age 70, Ronald Reagan was finally a Reagan Republican.

I'm thinking about voting for Obama. While he could end up like Jimmy Carter (my least favorite president of my so-called life), his oratory sets higher aspirational goals. Plus, Austan Goolsbee is pretty good for an advisor, and I think he understands economic policy better than he lets on (given his voter base).

I'm just worried that, like Carter's appeasement approach to foreign policy, Obama could reflate global threats against democratic nations.

UPDATE: McCain is looking to punish my family and friends? This is the worst thing I've read today:
I think there are some greedy people on Wall Street that perhaps need to be punished.

No comments:

Post a Comment