Thursday, June 05, 2008

Quotes of the day

I don't seek the presidency on the presumption I'm blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save my country in its hour of need. I seek the office with the humility of a man who cannot forget my country saved me.--John McCain

Senator McCain notes that his critics fear that a vote for him is a vote for a third term of the Bush Administration. Not all of that fear comes from the left. Some of it comes from those of us who remember the spirit of bipartisanship and compromise that gave us No Child Left Behind, the unfunded prescription drug benefit for Medicare, ethanol mandates, and zilch on reforming Social Security.--Arnold Kling
Like philanthropy, saving is an act of self-denial that enriches your neighbors (by leaving more goods available for them to consume). But unlike philanthropy, saving is punished by the tax system (via the taxes on interest, dividends, capital gains and inheritance). That's nuts.--Steve Landeburg, via Don Boudreaux
... a compendium of extremely weak Google-fu that betrays a pretty fundamental lack of knowledge ... --Megan McArdle

We pledged to support her to the end. Our problem is not being able to determine when the hell the end is. --Charles Rangel

No comments:

Post a Comment