Monday, April 07, 2008

Quotes of the day

In the United States today political power is much more dangerously concentrated than economic power. As provocative as the thesis might be, I think I understated the case.--Arnold Kling
Even the conservative and libertarian professors I know mostly seem to defend tenure. On the other hand, I know no [one who] thinks that this is a good arrangement when they are the customer of a person or corporation with perfect job security. Who longs for the days of the old AT&T monopoly? Or gets a glad feeling in his heart when he contemplates the fact that Comcast--and only Comcast--has the right to sell him cable service? ... Do we want academics who lack the courage of their convictions? I suppose we must. We've certainly built a near-perfect system for finding them.--Megan McArdle

No comments:

Post a Comment