Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Here's one of my fantasy football rosters


The league is a 14-team format, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF.

Drew Brees
Ryan Grant
Joseph Addai
Reggie Wayne
Legedu Naanee
Mario Manningham
Kellen Winslow
Ryan Longwell
Green Bay

Mike Williams
Deion Branch
Donald Brown
Matt Cassel
Brandon Jackson
Laurence Maroney

What do you think? I think it's been my best draft in years.

I had to autodraft my other team, as I was out of town. I picked up Sidney Rice (physically unable to perform listed) and Houshmandzadeh (dumped by his team) in that one. But I still have a fighting chance. That (12-team) league went to 2 starting QBs, and I set my priority list accordingly, and I've got Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer, potentially the best 1-2 punch of any team. It's just like Bill Simmons just said:

The quarterback boom goes beyond name value. Rules swung in their favor last decade: Cornerbacks can't punish receivers like they once did, and defenders can only hit quarterbacks between their thighs and shoulder pads (and only as they're releasing the football, and not too hard, and not in a way that might give them a boo-boo). It's glorified flag football with better plays. While that was changing, the importance of running backs was devalued because of injuries (they routinely break down within a few years), strategy (we've seen more situational backs than ever), incredible depth (there always seem to be eight guys like Tashard Choice or Arian Foster lurking out there) and Mike Shanahan's longtime dream to ruin fantasy football (finally taking hold). Anyone can contend in the National Football League with two mediocre runners and a half-decent third-down back, as long as they can throw and play defense. But you can't contend in the National Football League if your QB sucks, or even if he's mediocre. The days of Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl are long gone.


Photo (of Super Bowl champion Drew Brees hugging Rapunzel) link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment