Sunday, February 03, 2008

Congrats to the NY Giants and their fans


It's almost 10:30pm and people are still whooping it up in the streets of Manhattan. I had to turn the TV off after Belichick ran over to congratulate Coughlin, but I don't feel that badly. The Giants were just dominant. The front seven of the defense shamed the best offense in the game, and Manning was as poised as Brady has ever been.

I've believed in them, more than any Giant fan I know in the city, all year, so I'm not that surprised. This is what I posted a couple of weeks ago:
I have a lot of respect for this Giants team. They almost won their last regular season game against the Patriots. I drafted Eli Manning to be my fantasy QB before Labor Day when none of the Giants fans in the league wouldn't touch him, and wanted Coughlin out. No Giant fan was thinking playoffs, even as late as Thanksgiving. Just a lot of grumbling every time I brought the team up and said how good they were looking.
And for the disappointed Pats fans out there, I think there is a silver lining. Yes, we should be bitter about the coaches leaving Ellis Hobbs out in single man coverage against Burress with no safety help over the top. But I think, had the Pats made the type of history we all wanted tonight, the team would probably have disintegrated into egos and big money contract squabbles.

I don't think Seau, Harrison, or even Tedy Bruschi should try for another one. But for the rest of the guys I am thinking:
In every defeat lie the seeds of victory.
I think now that Brady and Moss will be willing to be more flexible on their contracts (maybe even Asante Samuel). Losing last year's AFC championship was the catalyst to this awesome team. The Pats need to upgrade their defense, and this loss will taste as bitter as that one, and we might see a better team next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment