Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Baseball trade opportunities ... lost forever

Guy Kawasaki linked to this Malcolm Gladwell review of the Wages Of Wins. I haven't been following the NBA since Len Bias and Reggie Lewis left the scene, but it occurred to me that this was relevant to all the MLB trade chatter in the Pit.

I've been busy with work, so haven't had much chance to join the banter, but I did briefly debate with fellow chatters about the Red Sox giving up Jon Lester for Andruw Jones. A friend mentioned that it might have been a 3-way with Roy Oswalt involved. Anyhoo, my point on the Lester-Jones trade was that Lester is making about 1% of Andruw Jones' $14 million, and he has the upside to throw for the Bosox for another several years. The counterpoint was that if the Red Sox could win the World Series this year, it would be well worth it.

I'm not sure that one can throw away that huge financial and early career upside for a fleeting "if". Let me know if you agree, disagree, or what your GM move would have been before this deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment