Thursday, August 31, 2006

ACLU Part I

As I have alluded to earlier I am a libertarian… NOT to be confused with a liberal. I believe that the burden of proof falls on the Government to show that society needs its interaction. So long as I harm no one other then myself I feel I have the right to do it. I believe that personal liberties should be strongly protected and I also believe that the closest thing to a national religion (our founding fathers) also agreed with these ideals. That is one reason why I feel so strongly against the gambling bill.

If you are reading this and you truly believe in the rights of the individual to gamble over the internet on sporting events then we are at a point when we need to decide if we are going to do anything about it. Personally I have contacted both of my Senators and my Congressman, and encouraged (successfully) for my sister, mother, and two friends of mine to do the same. Not one response as my Congressman voted for the bill, and I can only assume that my Senators will do the same if given the opportunity. So if in fact we want to make a difference what should we do? It occurred to me that perhaps the answers were to find an organization that would have sympathy for us and contact them on our behalf and encourage them to fight the just fight.

This brought me to looking into the ACLU. After all, their stated mission:

"to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States”.

So I reached out to them via email. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment