Friday, June 26, 2009

Mark Perry rounds up Phil Donahue's interview of Milton Friedman

I prefer reading to listening; but I know others have the reverse preference. And for those of you who like a fuller sensory experience, I link you to Mark Perry's roundup of Milton Friedman on Donahue's show, 3 decades ago.

It still resonates true today, the voice of reason and truth responding to a conceited, uneducated celebrity.

I wonder if one can be an educated and humble celebrity. I'm unsure if humility can survive the externalities of celebrity.

UPDATE: Oh, and about education: a publicly financed and unionized system combined with a university culture that tries to eclipse the brilliance of Friedman--which is my experience at Cornell--is probably a bad thing, after reading, writing, and arithmetic have been taught and learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment